ABC EXCELS PROGRAM
Welcome to our ABC EXCELS Program.
About Expanded Learning Programs
Introducing ABC Unified School District’s ABC Excels Programs, our new after school program that provides care to students from TK-8 grade. The ABC EXCELS staff wants every student’s experience to be positive, with opportunities to enhance his/her growth and development. The program is committed to providing a safe and enriching environment that furthers each student’s emotional, social, physical, and cognitive growth. Providing a program that is flexible and balanced to meet each student’s needs and interests is the primary goal of the program and its staff.
ABC’s Expanded Learning Program encompasses three different programs into one seamless experience for participating students/families. Two free programs funded by the State of California include After School Education Safety (ASES) funds and the new Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELO-P). The district has also provided the Extended Day Program (EDP) in which families pay a regular fee.
ABC’s Expanded Learning Program’s vision is to provide district families exceptional learning opportunities for all students in the Expanded Learning Program. The mission is to build one collaborative Expanded Learning Program.
The purpose of the Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELO-P) is to provide community support and expand children’s horizons. The mission of the (ELO-P) is to build one collaborative Expanded Learning Program, provide valuable and positive impact on students’ achievement, and allow students the time and space to thrive.
ABC EXCELS is designed to provide students with a variety of creative, hands-on learning activities. The program offers youth leadership opportunities and relationship-building to promote active student engagement. Daily activities include a nutritious snack, homework time, educational enrichment, and physical fitness activity. Enrichment and fitness activities include performing arts such as dance, music, and theater/drama. Other activities include team building, S.T.EA.M., social emotional learning, digital media arts, visual arts, recreational games, and sports.
ABC EXCELS four components that students will receive in the program are listed below:
- Nutritious Snack- Daily afternoon snacks will be provided by nutrition services and students are welcome to bring their own nutritious snack.
- Academic Homework Support- Students will have designated time to complete homework assignments and obtain support when needed. Silent reading will be provided for students who have completed their homework.
- Educational Enrichment- Students will be provided with social emotional learning, project based S.T.E.A.M activities, such as, dance music, theater, robotics, etc.
- Physical Activities- Students will participate in organized sport activities, team building activities and develop a sense of community within the afterschool program.
The ABC EXCELS program integrates the strategies from the Learning In After School and Summer (LIAS) Principles.
- Learning that is Active
- Learning that is Collaborative
- Learning that is Meaningful
- Learning that Supports Mastery
- Learning that Expands Horizon
The ABC EXCELS Program staff wants every student’s experience to be positive, with many opportunities to enhance his/her growth and development. Providing a balanced program to meet each student’s needs and interests is the primary goal of our program and its staff. The staff are committed to providing a safe and enriching environment that furthers each student’s emotional, social, physical, and cognitive growth. The program is located in all elementary sites and three middle schools.
Fedde Ross Tetzlaff
Days and Hours of Operation
ABC EXCELS operates after school on days that school is in session. The program begins on the first day of school in August and ends on the last day of school in June. Expanded Learning Programs hours are from School Dismissal until 6:00 PM. For late start schools (Carver, Melbourne, Nixon, & Palms) end time is 6:15 PM. Program dismissal times are available online and at each school site. If you choose to pick your child up before end of program hours, you are required to sign an early release form during registration. Some schools provide fee based morning programs starting at 7:00 AM until the school gates are open.
The program does not operate on holidays and non-student days. Additionally, the program will not operate during the fall, winter, and spring intersessions. Intersessions may be offered during school vacations, but are contingent upon the number of students registered.
How do I know if I qualify for free ABC EXCELS?
¿Cómo sé si califico para ABC EXCELS?
Su estudiante califica si cumple con uno de los siguientes:
1) Jovenes sin hogar y de crianza temporal
2) Estatus socioeconómico que se determina cada año en el momento de la inscripción (almuerzo formalmente gratuito y reducido)
3) Estudiante del idioma inglés (identificado al inscribirse en el distrito)